You may have seen this:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/shawa/2016/08/11/unexpected-crash-for-sharepoint-timer-service/

We have a SharePoint 2013 farm and it had the same exact message:
The SharePoint Timer Service service terminated with service-specific error %%-2147467259

It was being repeated every 2-3 minutes in one of the few servers we have in farm.

However, our resolution was different. We opened a ticket with Microsoft. With the assistance of the escalation engineer, we discovered the following line from the ULS log entries:
Could not determine SQL engine edition: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection’ threw an exception. —> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory’ threw an exception. —> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters’ threw an exception. —> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize —> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 113, position 96. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN\OWSTIMER.EXE.config line 113) —> System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 113, position 96.

The mistake I did is not to read the entire message. On the surface it seems like a SQL error. But on more serious scrutiny, I read this line:
An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 113, position 96. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN\OWSTIMER.EXE.config line 113)

Here it points to OWSTIMER.EXE.config file. So we compared the OWSTIMER.EXE.config file of this server along with other servers and there were differences. Once the file was made consistent, the repetitive crash of the timer service went away.

Advertisements